City of Denver Requires Contractor Licenses

by Sean O'Hara on November 16, 2009

The City and County of Denver is a municipality that requires contractors to have a license to pull a permit. The license types are Class A, B, C and D.

Building Contractor Class A license is a general contractor license that allows erection, alteration, demolision and repair of any building or structure.

Building Contractor Class B license allows work on Type III, IV and V buildings. It also allows work on Types I and II that are less than a high rise in height and less than the area allowances for Type III. A Class B license also allows demolition of one or two unit building and any building of one story. It also allows non-bearing interior work on any building type.

Building Contractor Class C license is a residential contractor license and allows work on one and two unit dwellings along with attached townhomes.

Building Contractor Class D license is a specialty contractor license. This license is required for antennas, insulation, concrete, curtain wall, store front, custom windows, fences, fire doors, fireproofing, taps and backflow preventers, plaster, masonry, decks, outdoor stages, overhead doors, precast, prefab buildings, racks, retaining walls, scaffolding, siding, swimming pools, mobile buildings, tile, lifts and trash chutes. It can also be used for non structural residential remodels and non structural tenant finish.


{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Brian Bates April 8, 2015 at 7:32 am

Can you pull a roofing permit with a class B License?

Sean O'Hara November 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm
Dean Dalvit November 16, 2009 at 9:46 am

Do you happen to have any links to the City and County of Denver where someone could go to and start the process of becoming licensed under one of these categories?

Leave a Comment